Domain vs Realestate: Which is the Best Site to List Your Property?
If you are planning to sell or rent your property online, you might be wondering which site is the best to advertise your property: domain.com.au or realestate.com.au. Both sites are popular and well-known in the Australian real estate market, but they have some differences that you should consider before choosing one.
In this blog post, we will compare domain.com.au and realestate.com.au based on four criteria: traffic, listings, features, and pricing. We will also give you some tips on how to optimize your listing and get the most out of both sites.
Traffic is the number of visitors that go to a website. The more traffic a website has, the more exposure your property will get. According to SimilarWeb1, realestate.com.au had 42.8 million visits in July 2021, while domain.com.au had 19.9 million visits. This means that realestate.com.au has more than double the traffic of domain.com.au, making it the clear winner in this category.
However, traffic is not everything. You also need to consider the quality and relevance of the traffic. According to Roy Morgan2, realestate.com.au and domain.com.au have different audience profiles, with realestate.com.au attracting more young parents and domain.com.au attracting more mid-life households. Depending on your target market, you might find one site more suitable than the other.
Listings are the number of properties available on a website. The more listings a website has, the more options your potential buyers or tenants will have. According to our own research, realestate.com.au and domain.com.au have similar numbers of listings in most suburbs and regions, with some variations depending on the location. For example, in Melbourne CBD, realestate.com.au had 2,003 listings and domain.com.au had 1,928 listings as of August 2021. However, in Sydney CBD, realestate.com.au had 1,388 listings and domain.com.au had 1,718 listings as of August 2021.
This means that both sites have a strong presence in the Australian real estate market, and you should list your property on both sites to reach the maximum number of potential buyers or tenants. However, you should also check the number of listings in your specific area to see which site has more competition or demand.
Features are the tools and resources that a website offers to help you create and manage your listing. Both realestate.com.au and domain.com.au have similar features, such as:
- Photos, videos, floor plans, and virtual tours
- Property descriptions, features, and amenities
- Maps, schools, and nearby attractions
- Contact forms, phone numbers, and email addresses
- Reviews, ratings, and testimonials
- Analytics, reports, and insights
However, there are some differences that you should be aware of. For example, realestate.com.au has a feature called Premiere Property, which allows you to showcase your property at the top of the search results and get more exposure and enquiries. Domain.com.au has a feature called Homepass, which allows you to create a digital brochure for your property and share it with potential buyers or tenants via QR codes or SMS.
Both sites also have mobile apps that allow you to create and manage your listing on the go. However, realestate.com.au’s app has more features and functions than domain.com.au’s app, such as:
- Editing your listing details and photos
- Upgrading your listing to a higher package
- Viewing your listing performance and enquiries
- Accessing market insights and trends
- Comparing your property with similar properties
Pricing is the cost of listing your property on a website. Both realestate.com.au and domain.com.au have different pricing plans and packages depending on your property type, location, and duration. However, in general, realestate.com.au is more expensive than domain.com.au, as it has higher traffic and exposure.
For example, for a standard residential sale listing in Melbourne, realestate.com.au charges $559 for 30 days, while domain.com.au charges $399 for 30 days. For a standard residential rental listing in Melbourne, realestate.com.au charges $224 for 30 days, while domain.com.au charges $165 for 30 days.
However, you should also consider the value and return on investment of each site. According to a report by CoreLogic3, realestate.com.au delivers more leads, views, and enquiries than domain.com.au, as well as faster sales and higher prices. Therefore, you might find realestate.com.au worth the extra cost, as it can help you sell or rent your property faster and for more money.
Here are some tips on how to optimize your listing and get the most out of both realestate.com.au and domain.com.au:
- Use high-quality photos and videos that showcase your property’s best features and appeal to your target market
- Write a catchy and informative headline and description that highlight your property’s unique selling points and benefits
- Include relevant and accurate details and features, such as the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, parking spaces, land size, etc.
- Add a floor plan and a virtual tour to give your potential buyers or tenants a better sense of the layout and space of your property
- Use maps, schools, and nearby attractions to show your property’s location and convenience
- Provide your contact details and respond to enquiries promptly and professionally
- Upgrade your listing to a higher package or feature to boost your visibility and exposure
- Monitor your listing performance and feedback and make adjustments as needed
- List your property on both sites to reach the widest possible audience and increase your chances of success
In conclusion, both realestate.com.au and domain.com.au are great sites to list your property online, but they have some differences that you should consider before choosing one. Realestate.com.au has more traffic, listings, features, and value, but it also has higher pricing. Domain.com.au has lower pricing, but it also has lower traffic, listings, features, and value.
Ultimately, the best site for you depends on your property type, location, budget, and goals. We recommend that you list your property on both sites to get the best of both worlds and maximize your results. However, if you have to choose one, we suggest that you go with realestate.com.au, as it has a proven track record of delivering more leads, views, enquiries, sales, and prices than domain.com.au.
We hope this blog post helps you make an informed decision and achieve your property goals. If you need any help with listing your property online, feel free to contact us. We are happy to assist you.